Do you know how to create a good website? In the digital age, your web presence is everything. It’s the first thing potential clients notice when exploring your brand or service. It’s also the single biggest source for marketing yourself or your company.
For most businesses, web presence entails at least two essential elements: a website and social media. In this article, I’ll guide you through the various ways you can make your website more effective immediately. I’ve written plenty about boosting your social media presence, so don’t hesitate to explore those options as well!
What to Look for in a Good Website
Creating an effective website is all about boosting domain authority and ranking, all while driving actual traffic and engagement across your various channels. Only by doing this will you be able to converge website visitors into customers, or at the very least, regular readers.
Before you can begin to optimize your website, its important to monitor its effectiveness right now. Start off by creating a simple dashboard that allows you to monitor your:
- Domain authority
- Actual traffic
- Traffic from search
Checking these vitals might seem like a daunting task, but is very simple in practice. Use Moz to assess your domain authority and Alexa to check your website ranking. Your traffic data come from Google Analytics, and are very accurate as you can see from my data below. Google Analytics provides granular information, such as “pageviews” and “unique pageviews.” This will give you better insights into how various pages are performing.
When it comes to engagement and conversion, you need to determine how many people are viewing your website and the extent to which they are interacting with it (i.e. responding to posts, liking/sharing content and of course buying your product or service). Google Analytics can help you determine your conversion rate – that is, the percentage of website visitors that actually become clients.
As Andy Crestodina of Orbit Media Studios teaches, the formula for website success is: Traffic x Conversion Rate = Success
How to Create a Good Website
To build an effective website, you need to think of ways to increase traffic and exposure. This can be done by:
- Blogging: Publish posts regularly using important keywords your target market is searching for. Each post should address topics related to your field of expertise or brand. Create engaging, dynamic content, and don’t be shy to use graphics and illustrations or videos.
- Lead magnets: One of the best ways to build a large audience and boost your conversion rate is to give people a reason for joining your mailing list. Think of ways your website can add value by offering lessons, eBooks, webinars, videos and other dynamic content. Remember, the goal is to get people to come back to your website. This not only boosts your ranking, but increases your chances of converting visitors into paying clients.
Now that you’ve committed to creating regular content and offering value-added services, it’s time to promote your website. Before you establish an advertising budget, consider these free ways for promoting your website:
- Search: Each blog you post or webpage you create should have important keywords that people are searching for. Search engine optimization (SEO) is still very important for boosting domain authority and traffic from Google.
- Social Media: Social media advertising is everything these days. In fact, if you’re not on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn or some other social media channel, your chances of success are limited. The goal is to post content to your social media channel regularly to increase exposure and audience engagement. There are literally billions of people on social media, so consider your job incomplete until you begin to engage audiences across the various channels.
- Email: If your lead magnets are working, you should have a growing mailing list to tap into. Use your mailing list to send out newsletters, updates or links to special offers. Remember, your mailing list shouldn’t just be used for selling, but for boosting engagement. So don’t be shy to promote older posts from time to time.
Although these efforts will take time to accumulate, they are essential for creating an effective website. So be patient and keep plugging away until you gain traction. Remember: website effectiveness is all about increasing your reach, exposure and engagement. Once you’ve employed the above strategies with consistency, you might want to consider spending money on advertising. This isn’t necessary, but could help optimize your web presence once you’ve already started churning out great content that people want to consume.
With 2017 under way, creating a good website is at the top of many marketers’ to-do list. This article should help you get started. With a little bit of time and effort, you’re well on your way to optimising your web presence.
Need help with your web content? Contact Charli Says right here
Adapted from: Barry Feldman (December 23, 2016). “How to Make Your Website More Effective.” Social Media Daily.